Prospective Graduate Students
Prospective students apply to Physics graduate programs using SFU’s on-line application system. Any questions about the application process should be directed to the Physics Graduate Assistant at email@example.com.
Before applying, please note the following important information:
- A fee of $90 CDN (for students with Canadian transcripts) or $125 CDN (for students with international transcripts) will apply. The on-line system accepts only Visa and Mastercard payments; to arrange payment by another method, please contact the Physics Graduate Assistant at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Provide a summary of your research interests, ands lists of your research experience, publications, academic awards and achievements and research skills.
- Applicants must include the names and contact information of three scientists who will provide references supporting their applications. SFU uses an on-line reference system; referees will receive automated emails requesting the submission of on-line recommendations. Referees should contact the Physics Graduate Assistant at email@example.com if they have any questions about the on-line reference process.
- If possible, applicants should indicate the top five SFU faculty members with whom they are interested in working in the “Comments” area of the on-line application form.
- Applicants who hold major external awards such as NSERC scholarships should indicate this on their application forms to ensure they are nominated for applicable top-up awards such as the Provost’s Prize of Distinction.
Hard Copy Documentation
- All post-secondary transcripts (transcripts in languages other than English or French must be accompanied by an English or French translation provided by a certified translator)
- English proficiency examination results, if required (details on SFU’s minimum English requirements for graduate admission are available here--see Graduate General Regulation 1.3.12)
- Physics GRE test results (recommended for applicants who did not complete degrees at Canadian institutions)
All official hard copy documentation should be directed to:
Department of Physics
Simon Fraser University
8888 University Drive
Burnaby, BC V5A 1S6
Students admitted with the condition of completing an SFU degree do not need to forward Official SFU Transcripts once the degree has been completed. This condition will be verified by Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies upon request, please email firstname.lastname@example.org upon degree completition (please include your SFU student number).
Steps to Completing Your Application
Please see Steps to Completing Your Application on SFU's Department of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies webpage.