5H10.30 Magnetic Field of a Bar Magnet
Magnetic field lines
The magnetic field lines of a bar magnet can be viewed by using compasses or by shaking iron filings onto a platform above the magnet.
-  Bar magnet
-  Shaker of iron filings
-  Compass
-  Plexiglas platform
-  Blank white sheet of paper
-  Document camera or overhead projector
- Place the magnet on top of the paper in view of the document camera or overhead projector.
- Place the Plexiglas platform on top.
- If using the iron filings, remove paper underneath the shaker cap.
- Iron filings can be messy.
- Place compasses in position around the magnet or carefully shake iron filings onto the platform.
- Remove compasses or put the iron filings back in the shaker using the paper.
- If in a great hurry, use the magnet to pick up the remaining iron filings.
- PIRA 5H10.30
- Don't attempt this at home!
- To remove iron filings from the magnet, use a rare earth magnet inside a plastic bag.
If you have any questions about the demos or notes you would like to add to this page, contact Ricky Chu at ricky_chu AT sfu DOT ca.