1R50.40 Ball Bearing Model
Single crystals, frustrated packing, grain boundaries, vacancies, vicinal surfaces
Ball bearings demonstrate single crystals, frustrated packing, grain boundaries, vacancies, vicinal surfaces and so on. Note: this demonstration can be shown on the overhead projector and is appropriate for large lecture halls.
-  Approximately 4000 1/16 inch ball bearings between two lucite plates
- The ball bearings can become electrostatically charged. If this happens, a few ball bearings will 'hover' near the surface
- This demonstration works best when the model is nearly flat on the table/overhead. It does not work when it is held upright
To demonstrate a single crystal:
- Slowly move the balls to the 120 degree end.
To demonstrate frustrated packing:
- Move the balls to round end.
- PIRA 1R50.40
- Don't attempt this at home!
If you have any questions about the demos or notes you would like to add to this page, contact Ricky Chu at ricky_chu AT sfu DOT ca.