1D60.20 Bat and Blocks
Free-fall, projectile motion, kinematics
Two blocks are launched simultaneously by striking a plank of wood with a baseball bat. One drops straight down while the other is given a horizontal component of velocity. They both strike the floor at the same time.
-  Block holder
-  Ladder
-  Wooden block
-  C-clamp
-  Baseball bat
- Place ladder in upright position.
- Clamp block holder to the ladder, careful to ensure the holder has required range of motion to launch blocks.
- Place wooden blocks in position on block holder.
- Ensure no one will be hit by flying blocks or the spinning plank!
- The block holder should be securely clamped!
- Ask students to predict which block hits the ground first.
- Use the bat to strike the black taped part of the block holder with moderate force.
- PIRA 1D60.20
- Don't attempt this at home!
- Monkey hunter
If you have any questions about the demos or notes you would like to add to this page, contact Ricky Chu at ricky_chu AT sfu DOT ca.