1A20.10 Gaussian Collision Board (Bean Machine)
Hundreds of tiny balls roll down through a gap and strike an array of hexagonal posts, bouncing between them and eventually landing in one of a number of slots below. The heights of columns of balls will approximate a Gaussian curve.
-  Gaussian collision board
- The board must be held straight in order to ensure that the balls approximate a Gaussian curve as closely as possible.
- Gather all of the tiny balls in the upper reservoir.
- Tilt the board so that all of the balls roll to the bottom.
- Show the board to the students using the overhead projector. (Optional)
- PIRA 1A20.10
- Don't attempt this at home!
If you have any questions about the demos or notes you would like to add to this page, contact Ricky Chu at ricky_chu AT sfu DOT ca.