6A10.10 Blackboard Optics
Ray optics, lenses, mirrors, total internal reflection, index of refraction
The blackboard optics demo includes a ray box, various clear plastic lenses and shapes, and mirrors. It can be used to demonstrate many kinds of optics phenomena, including total internal reflection and image formation.
-  Blackboard optics kit
-  Ray box with power supply
-  Magnetic optical mounts
-  Long extension cord
-  Cart or chair
- Mount ray box on blackboard.
- Place ray box power supply on chair or cart underneath and make necessary electrical connections.
- Adjust rays to be parallel.
- Place desired optical elements on board using magnetic mounts.
- Unplug ray box from power supply.
- Dim the room lights at the front.
- Plug in the ray box.
- Adjust rays and optical elements as desired.
- Unplug the ray box.
- PIRA 6A10.10, 6A20.10, 6A42.10, 6A44.10, 6A60.10
- Don't attempt this at home!
If you have any questions about the demos or notes you would like to add to this page, contact Ricky Chu at ricky_chu AT sfu DOT ca.