1D55.10 Broken Ring Bowling
Newton's first law
A small ball bearing moves in a circle inside a broken ring, eventually reaching the break and continuing in a straight line towards one of several miniature bowling pins.
-  Broken ring
-  Ball bearing
-  Miniature bowling pin
-  Level
-  Set of shims
-  Document camera or overhead projector
- Place the broken ring apparatus under a document camera or on a projector.
- Use the shims and thumbscrews to level the apparatus.
- Test the levelling by dropping a ball onto the Plexiglas.
- Remove the ring cover.
- Launch the ring a couple of times to see where it ends up.
- Place one of the bowling pins there. Place the other pins as possible other choices in a multiple choice question.
- Make students guess which pin will be hit.
- Launch the ball.
- PIRA 1D55.10
- Don't attempt this at home!
If you have any questions about the demos or notes you would like to add to this page, contact Ricky Chu at ricky_chu AT sfu DOT ca.