6H35.15 Calcite and Polaroid
Calcite's birefringence produces two images of text with different polarizations. A correctly oriented polarizer screens out one of the images.
-  Calcite crystal
-  Overhead sheet with text
-  Polaroid sheet
-  Overhead projector
- The calcite crystal is fragile. Handle with care.
- The calcite crystal is an optical element. Please keep it clean by handling it with a tissue.
- Dim the room lights.
- Turn on the overhead projector.
- Put the sheet of text on the projector as a control experiment.
- Put the calcite crystal over the text so that it duplicates the letters.
- Rotate the polaroid sheet until you block one set of letters, then the other.
- Turn off the projector.
- Brighten the room lights.
- PIRA 6H35.15
- Don't attempt this at home!
If you have any questions about the demos or notes you would like to add to this page, contact Ricky Chu at ricky_chu AT sfu DOT ca.