5A40.20 Can Attracted to Charged Rod
Electrostatic induction, attraction of opposite charges
An empty pop can is placed on its side in the middle of the table. A PVC pipe is negatively charged by rubbing fur on it. When pipe is held near the pop can, the can is attracted toward the pipe.
-  Empty pop can
-  Rabbit fur
-  PVC pipe
- Make sure you hear the build up of charge on the rod. This will be indicated by a crackling noise during charging.
- As with most electrostatic demonstrations, this works best under 50% humidity.
- Rub the fur on the PVC rod and thus making the PVC rod negative.
- Hold the rod near the pop can. Observe the can moves slowly toward the rod.
- PIRA 5A40.20
- Don't attempt this at home!
If you have any questions about the demos or notes you would like to add to this page, contact Ricky Chu at ricky_chu AT sfu DOT ca.