2B30.10 Crush the Can with Boiling Water
The water in the can is boiled to displace the air and the cap is screwed on. When the water vapor condenses, the can is crushed
-  Hot plate
-  Tin quart sized can with a screw cap
-  Safety glasses
-  Safety glove
- Do not burn yourself on the hot plate, the can or the boiling water.
- Be sure to turn off the hot plate.
- Put on the safety equipment.
- Fill the can approximately 75% full of water.
- Place the can on the hot plate.
- Turn the hot plate on to high. Wait for the water to come to a full boil.
- Turn off the hot plate and screw the cap back on the can.
- Wait for the can to cool. When the water vapor condenses, the can will crush.
- PIRA 2B30.10
- Don't attempt this at home!
- Original construction: purchased.
If you have any questions about the demos or notes you would like to add to this page, contact Ricky Chu at ricky_chu AT sfu DOT ca.