1J10.10 Centre of Mass L
Centre of mass
An irregular object is suspended from two different points. In stable equilibrium, the centre of mass lies below the point of suspension. By drawing a vertical line through the object in both position, the centre of gravity can be found as the intersection of the two lines.
-  Object L
-  Ruler
- Suspend the object from one point and let it settle to an equilibrium.
- Draw a vertical line from the point of suspension.
- Suspend the object from another point.
- Draw the second vertical line.
- Point out that the intersection of the two lines is the centre of mass of the object.
- PIRA 1J10.10
- Don't attempt this at home!
If you have any questions about the demos or notes you would like to add to this page, contact Ricky Chu at ricky_chu AT sfu DOT ca.