6A20.41 Projected Candle with a Concave Mirror
Image formation, concave mirror
A concave mirror projects the image of a lit candle. A hand or small metal sheet can be used to block parts of the candle or mirror to test knowledge of image formation.
-  Candle
-  Concave mirror
-  Lighter or box of matches
-  Sheet of metal
- Place the equipment away from things that easily burn, like paper.
- Be careful not to burn anything other than the candle!
- Beware of hot wax!
- Light the candle.
- Place the mirror so that it projects a candle image on the wall.
- Ask students what will happen when you start blocking the candle from the bottom.
- Block the candle from the bottom, showing it blocks the image from the top, so the image is inverted. Block the candle from the top for further emphasis, if desired.
- Ask students what will happen when you start blocking the mirror from the bottom.
- Block the mirror from the bottom, dimming the image.
- Blow out the candle.
- PIRA 6A20.41
- Don't attempt this at home!
- Filament Projection with a Lens
If you have any questions about the demos or notes you would like to add to this page, contact Ricky Chu at ricky_chu AT sfu DOT ca.