5K30.20 Dissectible Transformer
Magnetic induction, transformers
This is a transformer with swappable secondary coils, which all step down from the wall outlet 120 VRMS.
-  Dissectible transformer with 800-turn primary coil
-  40-turn coil
-  80-turn coil
-  200-turn coil
-  Multimeter & leads
- Assemble the transformer with the desired secondary coil.
- Attach the multimeter to the secondary coil.
- Set the multimeter to AC volts at an appropriate scale.
- Some of the secondary coils are hard to attach to and remove from the iron core. Try not to hurt yourself doing this.
- Turn on the multimeter.
- Plug in the transformer.
- Note the voltage across the secondary coil.
- Change the secondary coil and repeat 1–3 as required.
- Unplug the transformer.
- PIRA 5K30.20
- Don't attempt this at home!
If you have any questions about the demos or notes you would like to add to this page, contact Ricky Chu at ricky_chu AT sfu DOT ca.