5A10.10 Electrostatic Charges (Projectoscope)
Separation of electric charge by friction between two neutral materials
Charging the Project-o-scope deflects its needle. It can interact with a positively charged glass rod (glass rubbed with cellophane) or a negatively charged PVC rod (PVC rubbed with rabbit fur). Ions from a lit match near the Project-o-scope plate neutralize the charge.
-  Project-o-scope
-  Cellophane
-  Glass rod
-  Rabbit fur
-  PVC rod
-  Box of matches
-  Lighter
- As with most electrostatic demonstrations, this works best on cool, dry days
- Rub the fur on the PVC rod.
- Touch the Project-o-scope plate with the rod.
- Light a match or ignite the lighter near the plate of the Project-o-scope to discharge it.
- Repeat step 1 to 3 using a cellophane sheet and a glass rod.
- PIRA 5A10.10
- Don't attempt this at home!
If you have any questions about the demos or notes you would like to add to this page, contact Ricky Chu at ricky_chu AT sfu DOT ca.