2C20.31 Leaf Blower and Toilet Paper
A roll of toilet paper is mounted on a stand that is clamped on the table. A leaf blower is aimed at the topmost part of the toilet paper roll. When the leaf blower is turned on, it produces a stream of air across the top of the roll and reduces the pressure above the paper, thus lifting and ejecting the toilet paper in the direction of the air stream.
-  Leaf blower
-  Roll of toilet paper
-  Lab stand
-  90-degree clamp
-  Aluminum rod
-  C-clamp
- Slide a rod into the centre of the toilet paper roll.
- Clamp the rod horizontally to a lab stand.
- Clamp the lab stand to the table.
- Connect the leaf blower to a power source.
- Aim the leaf blower slightly over the top of the toilet paper roll, tilting up slightly.
- Turn on the leaf blower.
- Notice that the toilet paper unrolls rapidly in the direction of the air stream.
- PIRA 2C20.31
- Don't attempt this at home!
- Floating Ball
If you have any questions about the demos or notes you would like to add to this page, contact Ricky Chu at ricky_chu AT sfu DOT ca.