1J40.41 Loaded Beam
A metal rod is suspended by two spring scales located at equal distances from its ends. A mass is hung at known positions along the rod to explore different weight distributions and static torques.
-  Metal rod
-  Spring scale
-  Mass
-  Hook
-  Lab stand
-  90-degree clamp
-  Metre stick
- Hang each spring scale to a lab stand.
- Zero the spring scales and attach one to each metal rod.
- Adjust the height of the scales so that the rod is horizontal.
- Start by hanging the mass at the middle of the rod. The scales should read the same value.
- Slide the mass to the left and/or to the right.
- PIRA 1J40.41
- Don't attempt this at home!
If you have any questions about the demos or notes you would like to add to this page, contact Ricky Chu at ricky_chu AT sfu DOT ca.