The magnetic properties of a lodestone (a natural, permanent magnet)
The magnetic properties of a lodestone are demonstrated using a bar magnet, a compass, and a sewing needle. Note: this demonstration can be shown on the overhead projector and is appropriate for large lecture halls.
-  Lodestone
-  Bar magnet
-  Compass
-  Sewing needle
-  Thread
-  Tape
- Attach the lodestone to the overhead projector with string and tape so that it hangs freely.
- Hold the bar manget near the lodestone. Note the movement of the lodestone.
- Remove the lodestone from the overhead projector.
- Place the compass on the overhead projector.
- Hold the lodestone near the compass. Note the movement of the compass needle.
- Place the sewing needle on the overhead projector.
- Pick up the sewing needle with the lodestone.
- PIRA 5G10.15
- Don't attempt this at home!
If you have any questions about the demos or notes you would like to add to this page, contact Ricky Chu at ricky_chu AT sfu DOT ca.