3A20.10 Mass on a Spring
Simple harmonic motion of mass-spring system
A mass hung from a spring undergoes simple harmonic motion when displaced from its equilibrium position. Changing the quantity of the mass affects the period of oscillation of the system.
-  Spring
-  Lab stand
-  Metal rod
-  90-degree clamp
-  Hook
-  50 g hooked mass
- Various slotted masses
- Place two lab stands on the table about 70 cm apart.
- Attach a metal rod to both stands using 90-degree clamps.
- Place a hook on the metal rod.
- Hang the spring from the hook.
- Hang the hooked mass from the lower end of the spring.
- Let the mass oscillate by displacing it from its equilibrium position.
- Add more mass and observe that there is a change in the period of oscillation.
- PIRA 3A20.10
- Don't attempt this at home!
If you have any questions about the demos or notes you would like to add to this page, contact Ricky Chu at ricky_chu AT sfu DOT ca.