3B30.65 Music Box
Sound transmission through materials and air
A music box attachment has pins on a wheel plucking teeth on a metal comb to make musical notes. When the music box attachment is connected to a surface that can resonate, like a table, the sound is much louder and richer.
-  Music box attachment
- Holding the music box attachment in the air, spin the pin wheel by turning the crank. It should be very quiet.
- Holding the music box attachment on some surface, such as a table, spin the pin wheel again. It should be much louder.
- PIRA 3B30.65
- Don't attempt this at home!
- The tune is a fragment from the song "The Way We Were," popularized by Barbra Streisand in a movie of the same name.
- The Engineer Guy video on music boxes. We don't have all the parts of the music box.
If you have any questions about the demos or notes you would like to add to this page, contact Ricky Chu at ricky_chu AT sfu DOT ca.