1D50.40 Pail of Water
Forces in circular motion
A pail of water is swung in a full circle and the water does not fall out when the pail is upside down.
-  Pail of water
- Packing chips (optional)
- Fill the pail about 1/3 full with water.
- Practice this demo in advance. Confidence and a smooth motion are required.
- Swing the pail vertically, starting with a low amplitude and working up to large amplitudes.
- Continue to increase the amplitude of the swing until the pail swings in a full circle.
- (Optional) You may use packing chips instead of water to show that the chips fall out if the pail is stopped when upside down.
- PIRA 1D50.40
- Don't attempt this at home!
- Waiter's Tray
- Coin on a Coathanger
If you have any questions about the demos or notes you would like to add to this page, contact Ricky Chu at ricky_chu AT sfu DOT ca.