2B20.40 Pascal's Vases
Hydrostatic pressure is independent of the shape of the vessel
Coloured water in Pascal's vases rises to the same level in all five tubes though the tubes are of different shapes.
-  Glass vase
-  Base
-  Plastic tub
-  Lab jack
-  Container of coloured water
- Place the base on top of two lab jacks inside the tub.
- Raise the lab jacks until the base is visible to the audience over the side of the tub.
- Secure the vases to the base.
- When dismantling the experiment, be careful. Water can spray everywhere.
- Add water to one tube of Pascal's vases. The water will distribute through the tubes so that the height of the water is the same in all five tubes.
- PIRA 2B20.40
- Don't attempt this at home!
- Original construction: purchased.
If you have any questions about the demos or notes you would like to add to this page, contact Ricky Chu at ricky_chu AT sfu DOT ca.