3A10.10 Pendulum Array
Simple harmonic motion
A set of 3 pendulums hung from the same support. Two of the pendulums have the same string length but different mass bobs to observe the effect of mass. Two of the pendulum have the same mass bobs but different string length so that the effect of string length can be observed.
-  Ball attached to a string
-  Lab stands
-  Metal rod
-  90-degree clamp
-  Hook
- Place two lab stands on the table about 70 cm apart.
- Attach a metal rod to both stands using 90-degree clamps.
- Place three hooks on the metal rod.
- Hang all three pendulum.
- Displace the red and gold balls from the equilibrium position. Observe the effect of mass on the oscillating system.
- Displace the silver and gold balls from the equilibrium position. Observe the effect of string length on the oscillating system.
- PIRA 3A10.10
- Don't attempt this at home!
If you have any questions about the demos or notes you would like to add to this page, contact Ricky Chu at ricky_chu AT sfu DOT ca.