5N10.XX Radio and Wire
Antennas, electromagnetic waves
Momentarily connecting battery terminals with a wire generates static on the AM radio.
-  AM radio
-  Lantern battery
-  Banana cable
-  Alligator clip
-  Microphone
- Clip one end of the cable to a battery terminal.
- Tune the radio to a quiet part of the AM spectrum.
- For a large class, this demo requires a microphone.
- Turn on the radio.
- Tap the cable on the unconnected battery terminal. Make sure the microphone hears the static on the radio.
- Turn off the radio.
- PIRA 5N10.XX
- Don't attempt this at home!
If you have any questions about the demos or notes you would like to add to this page, contact Ricky Chu at ricky_chu AT sfu DOT ca.