5D10.40 Resistance Model
Flow of electrons through a conductor, resistance
This model simulates the flow of electrons through a conductor as well as the resistance experienced by the electrons. When electrons flow through a conducting medium, they will run into a complex lattice of atoms and thus they are not moving in a straight line. In this model, ping pong balls navigating through an arrangement of nails represent free electrons moving past atoms in a conductor.
-  Board with an arrangement of nails
-  Ping pong ball
-  Small foam ball
- Lean the board against the wall.
- Let the ping pong balls or foam balls roll down from the top.
- As the balls roll down, point out they are slowed by collisons with the "atoms".
- PIRA 5D10.40
- Don't attempt this at home!
If you have any questions about the demos or notes you would like to add to this page, contact Ricky Chu at ricky_chu AT sfu DOT ca.