1K10.20 Slipping Ladder (Ladder Against a Wall)
A ladder leans against a wall, on the verge of slipping. A hooked mass can be moved up the rungs of the ladder until the ladder slips.
-  Model ladder
-  Wall
-  Wooden plank
-  C-clamp
-  1 kg mass
-  S-hook
-  Metre stick
- Clamp the wall to a table.
- Clamp the plank next to it.
- Lean the ladder against the wall.
- Place the metre stick next to the plank and the ladder for scale.
- Find the angle at which the ladder starts to slip.
- Hang the mass at various rungs of the ladder, going up from the lowest rung.
- When the mass reaches or passes the middle of the ladder, it should slip.
- PIRA 1K10.20
- The University of Kentucky's Department of Physics and Astronomy has a decent video performing the demo.
- Don't attempt this at home!
If you have any questions about the demos or notes you would like to add to this page, contact Ricky Chu at ricky_chu AT sfu DOT ca.