1K20.30 Static vs. Sliding Friction (No Computer)
Kinetic and static friction
Show that static friction is greater than kinetic friction by pulling on a wooden box using a spring scale.
-  Wooden box with metal slipper
-  Steel brick
-  40 N spring scale
-  Wooden board
-  C-clamp
- Clamp the board to a table.
- The steel brick is a bit heavy. Handle with care.
- Put the box on the board.
- Put the brick in the box.
- Pull on the box with the 40 N scale, careful to let students see the reading. Slowly increase the force until the box starts moving, then decrease the pulling force so that the box moves at constant velocity.
- PIRA 1K20.35
- Don't attempt this at home!
If you have any questions about the demos or notes you would like to add to this page, contact Ricky Chu at ricky_chu AT sfu DOT ca.