4F30.10 Stirling Engine (Fuel Tablets)
This Stirling engine runs when heated by hexamine fuel tablets.
-  Stirling engine
-  Box of hexamine tablets
-  Pair of tweezers
-  BBQ lighter or pack of matches
-  Fire extinguisher
- Handle fuel, fire, and hot objects with care. Make sure there are no flammable objects around the Stirling engine.
- Before the demo, find the nearest fire extinguisher.
- Place a fuel tablet on the small dish and place the dish in its receptacle.
- Ignite the tablet. After a few seconds, the engine should run.
- When finished and packing away the demo, be careful to handle the fuel dish only with tweezers, if necessary.
- PIRA 4F30.10
- Crane, H. Richard. "The Stirling Engine - 173 Years Old and Running." TPT 28(4), 252-253 (1990)
- Don't attempt this at home!
- This Stirling engine also has an alcohol burner mode.
- Stirling engine (hot water, ice)
If you have any questions about the demos or notes you would like to add to this page, contact Ricky Chu at ricky_chu AT sfu DOT ca.