3A75.XX Teacup Oscillations
Normal modes, oscillations, sound
The teacup can be tapped with a pencil to excite two different normal modes, one each for when the handle is a node and an antinode. The ringing sound of the cup is different for each mode.
-  Teacup
-  Pencil
-  Microphone (for large class)
- Hold the cup in the palm of your hand, touching only the cup's bottom rim.
- Tap the cup on one of the marked lines. It should make a sound.
- Tap the cup at the other marked line. It should make a different sound.
- PIRA 3A75.XX
- Don't attempt this at home!
If you have any questions about the demos or notes you would like to add to this page, contact Ricky Chu at ricky_chu AT sfu DOT ca.