3A40.XX U-Tube Oscillator
A U tube is filled 2/3 full of water and plugged on one end. A rubber bulb is used to pump air into the plugged end, creating oscillations. As the large oscillations damp out, the miniscus continues to oscillate.
-  Glass U tube
-  Ring stand
-  Ring stand clamps
-  3 finger clamps
-  Block of foam
-  Rubber stopper
-  Rubber bulb
- Rubber tubing
- Coloured water
- Place ring stand on lectern shelf.
- Place foam block on ring stand.
- Attach 3 fingered clamps to ring stand using ring stand clamps.
- Attach U tube to ring stand using 3 fingered clamps.
- Attach bulb and rubber tubing to U tube.
- Fill U tube 2/3 full with coloured water.
- Plug end to be pumped with rubber stopper.
- Oscillation of the miniscus can only be seen close-up or using a video camera.
- Pump the water in the U tube using the rubber bulb.
- Discuss the oscillation of the water.
- As the large oscillations damp down, point out that the miniscus continues to oscillate.
- PIRA 3A40.XX
- Don't attempt this at home!
If you have any questions about the demos or notes you would like to add to this page, contact Ricky Chu at ricky_chu AT sfu DOT ca.