5K40.85 Weight-Powered Light
Generators, motors, transformations of energy
A DC motor/generator is connected to a light bulb. When a mass spins the generator, the light bulb emits light.
-  Mounted DC motor
-  Lab stand
-  90-degree clamp
-  200 g mass
- Secure the motor to the lab stand with the clamps.
- Wind up the string attached to the motor.
- The light bulb isn't very bright. The room should be as dark as possible.
- Hook the mass onto the string.
- Turn off as many room lights as possible.
- Let the mass drop.
- PIRA 5K40.85
- Don't attempt this at home!
- Could try a larger mass if the light is not bright enough.
- Hand-cranked generators
If you have any questions about the demos or notes you would like to add to this page, contact Ricky Chu at ricky_chu AT sfu DOT ca.