1Q50.23 Bike Wheel Precession
Precession, angular momentum, torque
When a spinning wheel has a torque applied perpendicular to the axis of rotation, precession occurs.
-  Bicycle wheel with holder
-  Precession post
-  C-clamp
-  Motorized wheel-spinner
-  Extension cord
-  Wooden block (if necessary)
- Clamp the precession post to a table with enough clearance so that the wheel won't hit anything while precessing. Use both clamps.
- Put the wheel in the holder if it is not already there.
- Plug in the wheel-spinner. Use the extension cord for more freedom of movement.
- Be careful not to get your hands in the wheel spokes when the wheel is spinning.
- Spin up the wheel.
- Put the eye-bolt on the wheel through the pointy bit at the top of the post.
- Watch the wheel precess.
- Stop the wheel and put it back on the holder when done.
- PIRA 1Q50.23
- Don't attempt this at home!
If you have any questions about the demos or notes you would like to add to this page, contact Ricky Chu at ricky_chu AT sfu DOT ca.