Indigenous Reconciliation Committee
We respectfully acknowledge that SFU Burnaby is located on the unceded Traditional Coast Salish Lands including the Tsleil-Waututh (səl̓ilw̓ətaʔɬ), Kwikwetlem (kʷikʷəƛ̓əm), Squamish (Sḵwx̱wú7mesh Úxwumixw) and Musqueam (xʷməθkʷəy̓əm) Nations.
Broadly speaking, the IRC’s mission is to support respectful, equitable, and reciprocal relations between Indigenous Peoples and Settler (non-Indigenous) Peoples. By following the TRC Calls to Action, our committee works to eliminate the marginalization and under-representation that Indigenous Peoples experience in academic settings. We pursue this mission by:
- Encouraging and supporting faculty and staff to publicly acknowledge the unceded Coast Salish territories where we work and study.
- Supporting and organizing learning opportunities for students, staff, and faculty about Indigenous Peoples, colonization, ongoing inequities, and cultural safety.
- Supporting faculty to Decolonize and Indigenize their courses, and more generally serving as a resource on teaching, research, and practice as it relates to Indigenous Peoples.
- Supporting Indigenous students, staff, and faculty, and providing opportunities for emerging leaders.
- Promoting initiatives at the department and university to recruit more Indigenous Scholars as permanent faculty and as guests.
We will make our work transparent and hold ourselves accountable in the following ways:
- Meeting approximately once per month and at least three times in the Fall and Spring terms, and at least twice in the Summer term. Assessing our progress by collecting relevant data, for example, tracking the amount and type of Indigenous content included in the curriculum. Results of the IRC Curriculum Survey can be found here
- Provide regular progress reports on the work of the IRC, posted each term to our webpage. Our May 2018-December 2020 IRC Progress Report can be found here
- Meetings will be organized and facilitated by the committee chair, who also drafts the agenda based on input from committee members.
- The IRC is made up of faculty, staff, and undergraduate and graduate student members. We make efforts to include self-identified Indigenous people on the committee.
- Take minutes of meetings that are shared with committee members after the meeting to be checked for accuracy.
- Include information on our committee budget and spending on our webpage.