Professor, Department of Sociology and Anthropology
Areas of Research
Gender, transgender, youth, digital media
The Gender Vectors team received a SSHRC Insight Grant in 2015. This four-year project centred on working with a cohort of Master's of Digital Media students at the Centre for Digital Media to develop a prototype of a video game to depict the life experiences of transgender youth in the Greater Vancouver area. We interviewed more than 25 transgender youth (and parents of transgender youth) to understand the particular challenges they experienced and the ways in which race, class, gender and dis/ability shaped these experiences. The video game prototype was tested by a Youth Advisory Council composed of transgender youth, and the final version was the basis of an intergenerational workshop consisting of transgender youth and adult allies.
We published two team-authored articles from the project and applied for a SSHRC Insight Grant (November 2019 – unsuccessful – and November 2020 – pending) to establish a Virtual Network of Transgender Youth and provide digital media training to youth via the network.
Transgender youth are a population that are marginalized—and often invisible. This research amplified trans youth voices and began to explore the significance of differences on the basis of race, Indigeneity, gender, class and dis/ability for trans experience.
Images from the video game prototype
About the Researcher
Travers (they/them/their/theirs) is a professor in the Department of Sociology and Anthropology at SFU and a youth baseball coach since 2021.
Co-Investigator Dr. Dominique Falls is a Sport Studies Instructor at Douglas College and Co-Investigator Dr. Jennifer Berdahl is a Professor in Sociology at UBC.
More Innovations in Research
- "Your Neighbourhood, In Your Eyes"
- Building a New Generation of Equity-Informed Climate Change Evidence
- COVID-19 Risks in British Columbia's Neighbourhoods
- Can a city be a school?
- Comprehensive Patient-Centred Pain Education (CoPPE) Project
- Construction of the Gendered Household
- Craft Workers Organize
- Equity Is NOW
- Gender Vectors
- Geographic Distribution of Conversion Therapy in Canada
- Health Equity Impact Assessment of Virtual Health Care Services at SFU
- Maintaining Respect and Dignity?
- Project ABC
- Skateboarders and the City
- The Dehumanization of Suicide Attempt Survivors by Crisis Line Responders and Laypeople
- The Impact of End-Demand Criminalization on Client Behaviour and Sex Worker Health and Safety in the Sex Industry in Metro Vancouver, Canada
- The Politicization of Human Trafficking Laws
- The Right to "Vancouverism"
- The creative edge of restorative justice
- Towards a Regional Strategy on Gender Inclusivity
- Transit subsidies, downtown commuting and equity
- Understanding Precarious Work in BC
- University Leadership Pipeline
- Vision Zero Art & Road Safety for Surrey's Newcomer Youth
- What is so-called “conversion therapy” and how can we stop it?