Award & Approval
On this Page
Congratulations on receiving sponsor notification for your funding! Now Research Servcies will work with you to accept the award, satisfy all conditions, if applicable, and notify Research Accounting to set up your account for spending.
- Notification. Research Services will accept and review the notification that your research project is awarded. If the notice comes to you directly, please send a copy to Research Services as soon as possible so there is no delay in accessing your funds.
- Research agreement negotiation. If your award is in the form of a contract or agreement, or if it is conditional on establishing an agreement, Research Services will be in contact with both you and the sponsor (and other parties if necessary) regarding any negotiations of terms and conditions that may need to take place. This is an important step to make sure the sponsor’s expectations of your performance is on line with your ability to deliver. In the background, Research Services also works with Research Accounting to identify and mitigate any financial risks in your agreement.
- Research compliance. In order to perform reasonable and ethical research, you need to complete some research compliance requirements if your research involves human participants, animals, biological safety and radiological safety. Research Services cannot approve your account for setup until all certificates are received.
- Award approval. Once the terms and conditions are negotiated and accepted and all compliance requirements are met, Research Services will approve your award and enter your award parameters (e.g., start date, end date, funding source, amount approved, etc.) into a database.
- Account set up. Once funds are received from the sponsor, Research Services notifies Research Accounting to create an account for your project. Research Accounting will directly communicate with you about how instalment will be released for your use.
Research Services receives notification via email or mailed documents from the majority of funding agencies. Once receiving a notification, Research Services
- Notifies applicants about individual results,
- Emails Tri Agency notification list to Deans, Chairs, Directors, VPR and Research Grant Facilitators
Some results for major competitions are posted on sponsor website (e.g. Tri Agencies). If you cannot find the results and have not received a notice from the sponsor, please contact Research Services (email@example.com) for more information.
The Notice of Award (NOA) is an official award document notifying that a research project has been awarded. It will be sent to Research Services and/or PI by the funding agency after the initial release of competition results to confirm award details. Some agencies (e.g., CIHR) communicate results to applicants directly. In this case, contact and send your NOA to Research Services (firstname.lastname@example.org) as soon as possible so that your award set up will not be delayed.
There are three types of approval statuses based on the nature of your award.
- Approved. Each instalment is pre-approved by Research Services so that Research Accounting can automatically adjust the budget. This applies mostly to Tri-Agency grants where payments from the sponsor are automatic and guaranteed. Please note that up to date compliance certifications are still required for access to these funds.
- Conditional. Each instalment is pre-approved by Research Services. However, payments from sponsor are conditional upon the PI satisfying agency requirements (e.g., technical reports). If conditions are not met, you may not be able to access your account until the condition is verified. Please send verification to Research Services before the sponsor’s deadline to avoid administrative delays.
- Notice of Decision (NOD) Received. Research Services approval is needed for each instalment before Research Accounting can adjust budget. This applies to sub-awards (SFU is the sub-recipient) for which sponsor releases annual NOAs (e.g., NSERC CRDs).