Important notes about our program
- All programs for youth are offered at no-cost at the Burnaby campus. Select activities can be arranged to be held at the SFU Surrey campus, pending lab/instructor availabilities.
- Most sessions are taught in English, arrangements can be made for selected activities to be taught in French.
- Unless indicated, all workshops are held at the Trottier Studio for Innovative Science Education, room C9051 Shrum Science Chemistry Building. See map.
- If your class is arriving by school bus, contact us for complimentary parking arrangements. Otherwise, parking fees apply to private vehicles. See SFU Parking.
- We require a 1:10 adult to child ratio, please ensure that you have enough parent/teacher volunteers that are able to supervise the children for the length of the workshop. This pertains to both high school and elementary classes.
- Please let us know if there are any students with special learning needs in your group so that we can modify our learning strategies and content.
- Our science outreach workshops are run by enthusiastic faculty members, graduate students and volunteers - please treat them with respect and courtesy.
- These programs/workshops may be photographed and/or video recorded by Simon Fraser University for archival, educational, and related promotional purposes. By attending or participating in these events, you are giving your consent to be photographed and/or video recorded. If you do not wish to be photographed and/or video recorded, please let us know and move to the side prior to the shoot. The full SFU privacy notice is available at: http://www.sfu.ca/contact/terms-conditions/privacy.html.
- Faculty and students can offer services as classroom lecturers, judges and coaches. If you would like to arrange for lab tours and career exploration talks, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 778-782-6967.
New for Spring 2018
High School Career series for Grades 10 and 11s
In partnership with SFU Let's Talk Science, we offer FREE monthly science workshops that include hands-on science activities, lab tours, panel discussions, career exploration and networking opportunities with SFU Faculty. Sessions are open to Grade 10-11 students, maximum of 60 students per session. All sessions are held at the SFU Burnaby campus from 930 - 2:00 pm.
Molecular Biology & Biochemistry - February 6, 2018
Biomedical Physiology & Kinesiology - February 14, 2018
Math - February 27, 2018
Earth Sciences - April 23, 2018
Physics - April 25, 2018
Registration on a first come, first served basis. Email email@example.com to register.
NOUVEAU : Ateliers scientifiques gratuits offerts en français!
La Faculté des sciences de l'Université Simon Fraser offre une nouvelle série d'activités et de présentations sur les sciences en français! Développés pour les élèves de la maternelle à la 12e année en immersion française et du programme francophone, ces ateliers sont offerts sur le campus de SFU à Burnaby sur les heures de classe régulières.
Contactez-nous à l'adresse suivante : firstname.lastname@example.org pour obtenir tous les détails et pour inscrire votre groupe d'un minimum de 20 élèves.
Parents and teachers looking for fun science experiments for students to do at home or in the classroom are free to check out our Seasonal Science Activities page. There will soon be science experiments appropriate to each season, with references to the BC school curriculum and background information on SFU scientists who work in the field.