Mathematics High School Outreach Programs
The Math department offers a wide array of outreach programs which include:
- BC Math Challengers a coached competition program that promotes mathematics achievement among students in Grades 8 and 9
- Calculus Challenge Exam an enriching week-long summer camp for promising math students
- Mathcatcher, supports math education for elementary and high school students through the SFU Academic Summer Camp for Aboriginal students, on-campus workshops for Aboriginal students in math and science and school visits to urban and rural schools around BC
- Meet and Greet Math a half-day opportunity for Grade 12 students to discover what it's like to learn how math is taught in a university setting
- Math Ambassadors are math students currently studying math at SFU. Invite them to your high school classroom to present information about transitioning from studying math at a high school level to a university level. Information about programs and courses can also be discussed.
- Academic Summer Camps for Aboriginal Students is a month-long, Burnaby campus camp for Aboriginal high school students who would like assistance preparing for the upcoming school year. Cultural, recreational and social activities are a major part of this once-in-a-lifetime experience.
- SFU Math Camp for Students. Held during the last week of June, or the first week of July, SFU hosts a week-long day camp for students from grades 9 and 10, along with keen grade 8 students who are familiar with grade 9 math. Students must be nominated by their teacher to attend this camp.
What is 3D printing? What can it be used for? Learn how 3D printers work and how they are used in research and medicine. Students will learn how SFU uses 3D printing to make arm and leg casts as well as models for math, archeology and anatomy. Students will be able to touch and hold 3D printed pieces and will be given a 3D printed keepsake to take home.
This workshop is open to all age groups. Maximum 30 students per workshop.
Workshop is 40 minutes long.
Click here to enroll your class.