Community Supports

It is our collective responsibility to ensure all who teach, learn, research and work at SFU feel a sense of belonging, inclusion and mutual respect. Despite our efforts, we are aware that incidents that impact individual and collective well-being and personal sense of safety can happen.

SFU has a number of dedicated offices in place to help support our community members through difficult situations and where possible, provide further protection from harm. If you or someone you know have experienced or observed an incident and are in need of support, you’re invited to connect with any of the following supports.

Supports for:

Navigating our network of supports


In an emergency, please call 911.

Campus Security is also available 24/7 for urgent assistance and provides emergency support, first aid response, and help to guide emergency responders (fire, ambulance, police) to the right place on campus quickly.

See information about emergency procedures here.

These offices provide supports to faculty, staff and students who share or disclose their experience. In some cases, the offices may recommend a report be submitted, and next steps will be reinforced through SFU policies and procedures.

I need help because...

I have experienced, witnessed or observed bullying and harassment.

Bullying and harassment is prohibited at SFU. As a first step, make an appointment to report and discuss the incident confidentially with the Anti-Bullying Specialist at the Bullying and Harassment Central Hub.

Want to know more about our process? You can view our scope and jurisdiction here: Policy GP 47: Bullying and Harassment Hub.

I have experienced witnessed or observed discrimination or discriminatory harassment.

If you would like confidential advice on how to manage a situation involving potential discrimination or discriminatory harassment, please contact the Human Rights Office.

How does the Human Rights Office address concerns about discrimination based on personal characteristics? See Policy GP 18: Human Rights Office.

I or someone I know has been impacted by sexual violence.

The Sexual Violence Support and Prevention Office offers free and confidential support, information, and guidance for all SFU students and employees who have been impacted by sexual violence. Please contact an SVSPO case manager for support.

Want to learn more about our approach to addressing and prevention of sexual violence? Sexual Violence and Misconduct Prevention, Education and Support [GP 44]

I need to request a Safe Walk escort.

You can request Safe Walk assistance at any time. Call the Campus Public Safety non- emergency line to request an escort. 

Burnaby: 778.782.3100
Surrey: 778.782.7070
Vancouver: 778.782.5029

I need to report a health & safety incident.

Report all incidents, suspicious activity, hazards, or near-misses immediately to Campus Security

I have experienced a traumatic event.

Reactions to traumatic events that create a strong emotional reaction can vary between individuals. 

Learn about the signs and symptoms of critical incident stress and the supports available.

Student Support

As a student at SFU, you are entitled to learning, studying and working in an environment that is civil, safe and respectful of your rights, well-being and dignity.

I need help because...

I have been affected and/or have observed a situation.

You may have experienced or observed a situation and want to better understand your rights and responsibilities as an SFU community member. Contact the Office of Student Support, Rights and Responsibilities, for support and guidance on how to navigate next steps.

I need academic guidance.

Sometimes situations arise which require you to think about how to plan your academic journey and considerations you should be mindful of. See our undergraduate academic planning supports.

Graduate students can contact their Graduate Program Assistant or connect with our Academic Graduate Student Support Specialist ( for guidance.

I want to know my responsibilities and rights.

Our S 10.05 Student Conduct Policy sets out SFU’s expectations for student behaviour, processes available to address complaints and procedural fairness.

I need to talk to someone about my mental health.

You don’t have to struggle alone. Get support from our Health & Counselling team.

You can also contact My SSP, our 24/7 Student Support Program to access different time zones, languages, and specific types of counselling support.

My situation has changed and I may need academic accommodation.

Accommodations help create equal educational opportunities for students with disabilities – whether that be for physical or mental health reasons. Contact the Centre for Accessible Learning (CAL) to speak with someone who can advise on your situation and understand next steps.

I am looking for help understanding my financial needs.

Understand your financial commitments, learn more about various forms of financial assistance available to SFU students, and important deadlines to remember. See helpful tools such as an undergraduate cost calculator or a graduate budget calculator. 

Faculty Support

As faculty at SFU, your terms and conditions of employment and expectations on respectful relationships are outlined in the SFU/SFUFA Collective Agreement.

I need help because...

I need to talk to someone.

Your supervisor or Dean is the first point of contact for any inquiries. You can also connect with our team of faculty relations advisors within the faculty relations office.

Faculty Relations

I am being harassed based on my work or affiliation with SFU.

As faculty, you have a voice that is important to public conversation. See resources to support you if you receive unwanted attention from members of the public about your work.

Faculty Spokesperson Harassment Program

I want to help my student.

Faculty and staff can consult with the Health and Counselling office when concerns about a student’s safety, well-being or impact upon others is present. We will work with you to develop an approach to appropriately intervene, and provide support for the student.

Health & Counselling: Information for Faculty and Staff

I am looking for supports to make teaching manageable.

Teaching is a rewarding and demanding career that requires juggling multiple responsibilities and timelines. In supporting student learning and managing classroom dynamics instructors invest a significant amount of time moderating their own emotions in order to care for and attend to the emotions and needs of others (Harvey, 2022). Prioritizing your own well-being is not only beneficial for you but also enhances your ability to provide quality education and support to your students.

Strategies to make teaching manageable

I want to support well-being in my classroom. 

Faculty members, instructors, and TAs/TMs are invited to try out quick strategies to support well-being in their own classes, tutorials, and learning environments, and have their students participate in a survey to evaluate its impact. 

Tools for Well-being in the Classroom

Staff Support

All who are employed by SFU have terms and conditions of employment that set expectations on respectful relationships between the University and its staff and with each other. For more information, view your Collective Agreement.

I need help because...

I need to talk to someone.

Your supervisor or manager is your first point of contact for any inquiries. You can also contact Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP) to access individual counselling with certified counsellors at no cost to the user. Contact EFAP at 1-800-663-1142.

If you are a People Leader, you can also connect with your Strategic Business Partner.

I would like to talk about a workplace or interpersonal conflict.

Staff, faculty, and students can contact the Conflict Resolution and Investigation Specialist (CRIS) to receive confidential guidance, informal coaching, and conflict resolution support related to a workplace conflict or interpersonal conflict. Staff, faculty, and students are welcome and encouraged to include their union representative/support person as needed.

Connect with the CRIS by emailing

I want to help a student.

Faculty and staff can consult with the Health and Counselling office when concerns about a student’s safety, well-being or impact upon others is present. We will work with you to develop an approach to appropriately intervene, and provide support for the student.

Health & Counselling: Information for Faculty and Staff

Additional Supports and Resources 

For all:

  • The Multifaith Centre: An engaged community that enables you to express and practice your beliefs, and offers space to learn about other faiths. Open to staff, faculty and students.
  • See a list of Aboriginal programs and services at SFU and get connected at the Office of Aboriginal Peoples.
  • SFU’s Black Caucus creates space for the empowerment of SFU's Black faculty, staff, students, alumni, and community members through action, education and capacity building.
  • Get updates on initiatives by connecting with the Equity Office
  • Office of the Ombudsperson: The Ombudsperson can assist with fairness issues, appeals, interpersonal conflict, academic concerns and policy questions. Students are welcome to consult the Ombudsperson as a first step, last resort or at any point along the way. The Office of the Ombudsperson also provides a faculty guide to appeals.

For faculty and staff:

For alumni: 

A Culture of Inclusive Excellence

Simon Fraser University is committed to creating a diverse, equitable and inclusive community where all feel welcome, safe, accepted and appreciated. We recognize that to do this effectively means to align our work towards academic quality, diversity and inclusion and organizational excellence. It will take all of us, working together to maintain an environment of inclusive excellence that we can be proud to be part of.

Learn about our expectations and how to help us maintain our commitment to inclusive excellence.