Coronavirus (COVID-19) and SFU's response
This section outlines SFU’s COVID-19 response that follows the latest information and recommendations from regional and provincial medical health officers.
SFU COVID-19 impact scale
The COVID-19 Impact Scale is a high-level summary of university activities that are permitted as SFU moves through recovery phases (extreme, high, moderate and low risk) in response to the pandemic.
- April 8: SFU is working with Provincial Health, WorkSafe BC and other post-secondary institutions to plan for a full return to campus.
- April 6: The government of BC has launched a website and phone number for eligible people to register for a vaccine.
- March 8: B.C.’s Provincial Health Officer, Dr. Bonnie Henry, has advised all public colleges and universities to prepare for a full return to on-campus education this September. SFU is well positioned to continue working toward a return to our campuses this fall.
- February 18: The SFU GoForwardPlan has been updated with new information relating to non-medical masks, and resources added around proper face mask usage. Additionally, we’ve revised the COVID-19 Impact Scale “Building Access/Public Areas” column to specify restrictions related to department controlled spaces.
- February 18: Planning continues as SFU works towards returning to in-person teaching, research, and community engagement.
- January 12: SFU employees who worked from home during 2020 due to the COVID-19 are eligible to claim Home Office Expenses on their 2020 income tax filing.
- January 11: All faculty, staff and students returning to campus must complete COVID-19 safety training and daily self-assessments.
- November 27: SFU has delayed the start of classes to January 11, 2021. The start of classes in the summer term will also be delayed by about a week. There are no changes to dates for the fall term 2021.
- November 20: Masks are now required to be worn in all indoor common areas on SFU campuses.
- November 9: Responding to new public health orders, SFU has moved to H1 on the COVID-19 Impact Scale.
Need more information or have questions about SFU’s COVID-19 response? Email email@example.com.
A pan-university initiative to harness our resources in response to the COVID-19 crisis and its consequences. Visit the SFU CAN website.
COVID-19 in BC
If you are concerned you have COVID-19 or want the latest information on confirmed cases, visit the BCCDC website.
COVID-19 and you: SFU experts' research and advice
How students can make the most of remote learning October 02, 2020
A trio of Excellence in Teaching award winners offer tips for studying amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
How 300 new SFU students move safely into residence and find community September 24, 2020
Faced with the challenge of safely moving 300 students into residences on the Burnaby campus, SFU's...
International team develops advanced COVID-19 virtual reality training simulations September 24, 2020
Post-doctorate researchers and graduates from SFU's School of Interactive Arts and Technology...
Portable 3D-printed ventilators being developed at SFU September 21, 2020
Low-cost 3D-printed mechanical ventilators are being designed and built at Simon Fraser University,...