Coronavirus (COVID-19) and SFU's response
This section outlines SFU’s COVID-19 response that follows the latest information and recommendations from regional and provincial medical health officers.
SFU COVID-19 impact scale
The COVID-19 Impact Scale is a high-level summary of university activities that are permitted as SFU moves through recovery phases (extreme, high, moderate and low risk) in response to the pandemic.
- February 18: The SFU GoForwardPlan has been updated with new information relating to non-medical masks, and resources added around proper face mask usage. Additionally, we’ve revised the COVID-19 Impact Scale “Building Access/Public Areas” column to specify restrictions related to department controlled spaces.
- February 18: Planning continues as SFU works towards returning to in-person teaching, research, and community engagement.
- January 12: SFU employees who worked from home during 2020 due to the COVID-19 are eligible to claim Home Office Expenses on their 2020 income tax filing.
- January 11: All faculty, staff and students returning to campus must complete COVID-19 safety training and daily self-assessments.
- November 27: SFU has delayed the start of classes to January 11, 2021. The start of classes in the summer term will also be delayed by about a week. There are no changes to dates for the fall term 2021.
- November 20: Masks are now required to be worn in all indoor common areas on SFU campuses.
- November 9: Responding to new public health orders, SFU has moved to H1 on the COVID-19 Impact Scale.
Need more information or have questions about SFU’s COVID-19 response? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
A pan-university initiative to harness our resources in response to the COVID-19 crisis and its consequences. Visit the SFU CAN website.
COVID-19 in BC
If you are concerned you have COVID-19 or want the latest information on confirmed cases, visit the BCCDC website.
COVID-19 and you: SFU experts' research and advice
Undergrad student Aneesa Hashimi participates in unique virtual after-school program August 30, 2020
Aneesa Hashimi, a second year Bachelor of General Studies (BGS) student in the Faculty of...
Mechatronic systems engineering students step up to the COVID-19 PPE challenge August 30, 2020
With COVID-19 being declared a global pandemic in March, faculty members and students from SFU’s...
Checking in at the Surrey campus: Upgrades great and small August 12, 2020
From improved student study spaces to a brand-new Welcome Centre, there are many exciting upgrades...
New food hub supporting students launches on Burnaby campus July 29, 2020
COVID-19 has dramatically impacted many aspects of our daily lives. Disparities in our society have...