Canada's First B.Env. Graduate
Zebang Wei first in Canada to graduate with a bachelor of environment degree
International student Zebang Wei switched programs from geography to global environmental systems when he discovered that SFU was introducing a bachelor of environment program in January 2015.
Today, he is the first person in Canada to graduate with this new degree, which is only offered at SFU.
“The B.Env. is a combination of both art and science courses,” says Wei, who came to Canada in 2011 to study at SFU.
“It covers science fundamentals as well as methodologies and problem-solving that can be applied in the real-world in resource management.”
Wei didn’t give up his interest in geography, however. He completed a certificate program in Spatial Information Systems (SIS) in addition to the B.Env.
For his capstone SIS certificate he developed a multi-phased fire-development model that predicts in which direction a wildfire will spread. He hopes it will prove beneficial for forest firefighters.
Wei next plans to pursue a master’s in physical geography and, after several years of work experience, establish a career in the environmental field.
- Big data degree reaps big rewards
- PhD grad chews on global food issues
- Disability no deterrent to completing degree
- Shedding new light on sex offenders' crimes reveals surprises
- PhD research startles world scientists
- Spring 2016 Honorary Degree Recipients
- Student Convocation Speakers
- Degree opens doors to world travel
- Promising undergrad researcher fast tracks to PhD program
- Stand-out student seeks to help others walk again
- Engagement, scholastics and school spirit earn Shrum medal
- Undergrad takes on the full university experience
- Grad immersed herself in global indigenous cultures
- Grad faces tough choice: Olympics vs medical school
- Love for mathematics trounces adversity
- Saving lives by connecting the 'docs'
- Enterprising mechatronics student is flying high
- Eye for design attracts awards for SIAT grad
- From senior to señora: Margaret Torgerson’s journey in gerontology
- Naqib Azad leaves legacy of social entrepreneurship
- Zebang Wei first in Canada to graduate with a bachelor of environment degree
- Mid-career move pays off
- White Rock politician seeks to improve public policies
- It’s no kidding matter: marriage, two kids and a PhD
- Vivian Abboud’s remarkable journey from Canadian immigrant to doctor of education graduate
- Undergraduate convocation medalists
- Graduate convocation medalists