Traffic notice - University Drive East closure starting July 27
Due to required culvert repairs, University Drive East will be closed to all vehicle, cyclist and pedestrian traffic between Gaglardi Way and Nelson Way for seven to eight weeks, starting July 27.
Access route changes
- The main detour route will be along University Drive West and the north-east section of University Drive East. The detour pattern will take effect beginning at 6 a.m. on July 27.
- An alternate route of South Campus Way is available, however due to other construction, people can expect delays.
- To further facilitate traffic flow, the City of Burnaby is re-programming the Gaglardi/Burnaby Mountain Parkway traffic light to a three-way intersection.
- Access to Nelson Way (Discovery 1 and 2) is available from the north on University Drive East.
- There will be traffic controllers on University Drive East to help motorists, cyclists and pedestrians with road closure details and detour routing.
- TransLink is aware of the road closure; pick-up and drop-off locations should not be impacted.
- BC Ambulance, Burnaby RCMP, Burnaby Fire and the City of Burnaby are also aware of the road closure and the routes that can be used to respond to an incident on campus or at UniverCity. In addition, SFU Campus Public Safety has the ability to reroute traffic at any time if necessary and to support emergency first responders get to any location on campus.
Purpose of closure
- These culvert repairs are required by Fisheries and Oceans Canada as they flow into fish-bearing streams. The University Drive East road needs to be fully closed for safety reasons related to deep trenching across all traffic lanes and the pedestrian sidewalk.
People coming to Burnaby campus should follow rerouting signs and allow for extra travel time. SFU will adjust as necessary to ease traffic congestion where possible. For the most up-to-date information on work progresses visit the Traffic Notice page.