- Staff & faculty resources
Lead Unity 2D Mobile Game Developer
Position role: Contract (External)
Employment Type: Fixed Term, Full Time
Applicants should submit a resume and current portfolio of their work to email@example.com
We will be viewing applications as they are sent and conducting interviews on an ongoing basis. We anticipate hiring by Dec 15thor as soon as we find the right person.
Who we are:
We are a small team at Simon Fraser University working on a game that actually helps people in the real world. Facing Dragons is a mixed-reality, quest-based mHealth game that encourages young adults to engage with challenges in the real world, in order to unlock their purpose and build valuable life skills. The game is set in a world where challenges are embodied as NPCs, rather than concepts. The larger challenge areas are depicted as dragons that players need to face. If they don’t face their dragons, the dragons get more powerful. The game will guide young adults to face their dragons through a solo campaign, and real-world quests, where they can join forces with a team of other players that keep each other accountable by voting when members have completed each quest.
The Facing Dragons game development is based on a multi-year plan, including trailers, a playable prototype, event presentations, and Kickstarter campaign. In 2019, the team focused on research and data collecting, hosting surveys and focus groups with hundreds of young adults, aged 17-29. Now that the research portion is complete, the team will be focusing on their next steps: creating game trailers and a playable prototype mid 2020.
Once the prototype is complete, the team will be attending major events such as Game Developers Conference 2020, BCTECH Summit 2020, and Games for Change 2020, where they will pitch investors to secure funding for the development of the full game.
Who you are:
You resonate with our mission to build a game that helps young adults with mental health challenges and sense of purpose in their lives. You are a talented Unity 2D developer who can work together with the Design Director to take facing dragons from design concept to playable prototype over the next 6 months. You have experience making games and are passionate about developing outstanding roleplaying games. You have a portfolio of great work to prove it, are a skilled communicator that loves taking ownership of projects.
- Collaborate with the Design Director, Lead Artist, and others to shape ideas and set specifications for project needs, to craft a vertical slice prototype.
- Plan what art assets will be needed for game development
- Develop a GUI that displays useful metrics from gameplay in a companion app for youth support workers
- Work together with the Design Director in-person at SFU Surrey Campus at least 50% of the time.
- Incorporate internal and user feedback to iterate on creative solutions.
- Expertise with unity 2D, and related tools.
- Able to code a companion application for support workers, that ties into the game.
- Experience organizing large pools and categories of 2D assets/files
- Experience working in an iterative, agile environment.
- Self-directed, professional approach to soliciting critique and feedback.
- Enjoys playing a wide variety of games.
Terms of Employment
Fixed term, Full Time
9am-5pm with at least 50% time spent on-site at SFU Surrey Campus
1st– June 1stwith possibility of long term continuation for further funding blocks
Based on experience: $5,000 – $6,600 monthly