- News & Events
- Staff & faculty resources
Digital Media Club Mentor Student Assistant
Position role: Contract
Contract: Contract will be for 4 hours/week from October 12 - December 10, 2021.
- October 12-October 22: Two weeks of preparation to plan and prepare workshops
- 10-11:30am, Wednesdays, October 25 – December 3: Workshops at L.A. Matheson Secondary School
- December 6-10: Tour of SFU Surrey
Applicants should submit their application package to Kim Hockey at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline to apply: October 3, 2021
Description: In partnership with the Surrey School District (SD36), FCAT is offering a weekly Digital Media Club for at-risk students in Surrey. The Digital Media Club is a weekly group run by two FCAT Student Assistants (SAs) who facilitate interactive workshops for high school students in grades 10-12. The high school students who participate in the club often have complex learning needs but have demonstrated an interest and capacity in digital design.
FCAT and SD36 are seeking two empathetic and motivated FCAT SAs to work together and facilitate six interactive workshops for at-risk youth. These workshops will take place in-person at L.A. Matheson Secondary School in Surrey.
The SAs will prepare the workshops with support and guidance from a FCAT faculty member. Workshop content is up to the SAs but will feature software accessible to SD36 secondary school students, ex. Adobe Photoshop or Illustrator. Examples of past workshop topics include Impossible Photography and Movie Poster design.
The SAs will conclude the program by hosting the participating students at SFU Surrey for a campus tour.
The SAs will follow COVID-19 safety protocols as determined by SD36 and SFU.
Note: This program will be monitored while we navigate the COVID-19 pandemic. While we are planning for the program to be in-person, we will adapt as necessary to ensure compliance with the Provincial Health Officer’s safety recommendations.
Location: L.A. Matheson Secondary School (9484 122 St, Surrey).
Duration: Contract will be for 4 hours/week from October 12 - December 10, 2021.
- October 12-October 22: Two weeks of preparation to plan and prepare workshops.
- 10-11:30am, Wednesdays, October 25 – December 3: Workshops at L.A. Matheson Secondary School.
- December 6-10: Tour of SFU Surrey.
Rate of Pay:
Benefits @ 4%
Report to and under supervision of Kim Hockey at SFU and a Surrey School District teacher or counsellor.
- Guide Digital Art Club for small groups of up to eight students in Grades 10-12.
- Create a list of supplies necessary for the workshops.
- Create in-person or online program for weekly Digital Art club sessions.
- Attend weekly Digital Art Club meetings at Surrey school or online.
- Liaise between SFU and Surrey School District to coordinate meetings.
- Support students in completion of their digital art projects.
- Provide safe and encouraging environment to students.
- Report any unsafe behaviour to teacher supervisor.
- Follow all COVID-19 safety guidelines as issued by SD36 and SFU.
- Active in an undergraduate or graduate program within the Faculty of Communication, Art and Technology.
- Strong background in digital art and graphic design practice. • Excellent knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite.
- Confident in fundamental principles in the following
- 2D visual design;
- sequential and animation design;
- digital photography; o and vector image creation.
- Demonstrated experience working with youth.
- Excellent ability to empathize.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Reliable with sensitive and confidential information.
- Ability to work as a member of a team and independently.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Complete a CRRA criminal record check.
- Signed confidentiality agreement.
Send application by email to Kim Hockey (email@example.com):
- Use the following subject heading, including your name, in your email application:
- Ex. SA Application Digital Art Club Mentor, [J. Doe]
- Cover letter indicating why you are interested in participating in this project.
- Curriculum vitae.
- Academic transcript.
- Name and contact information of 2 references. Please indicate relationship to references.
DEADLINE TO APPLY: October 3, 2021
Offer letters, contracts and all correspondences will be sent via email. For information, please contact Kim Hockey at firstname.lastname@example.org. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted. Thank you for your interest.