Undergraduate and graduate students at Simon Fraser University who are enrolled in their Student Health Plan have automatic Travel Health Insurance for trips up to 120 days long. Check for details.

"You are covered for up to 120 days per trip and up to a maximum of $5,000,000 per incident for an unlimited number of trips taken during the time you’re covered. Your coverage includes hospital, physician, and other services for emergency treatment of an injury or illness while traveling outside of the province in which you reside (including international travel). It covers reasonable and customary charges, which are in excess of the provincial health-care allowance. Please note, travel health coverage does not apply to international students, including US students, travelling to their home country. 

Note: You must have Canadian provincial health-care coverage or equivalent coverage to make travel claims. 
The current policy year is from Sept. 1, 2015 - Aug. 31, 2016." - Website (Oct. 30, 2015)

Exchange & Internship Students

"Students who are paying fees to SFU and leaving on a recognized academic exchange or participating in an internship as part of their studies can benefit from travel health coverage for the duration of the exchange or internship. The Plan also includes travel health coverage for the first 120 days of their trip and for 120 days after the end of their exchange or internship. 

In order to be eligible, students must remain members of their student society, pay fees to the university, and keep their provincial health-care coverage. You must notify before leaving on an exchange.

The complete details of your benefits, coverage, and telephone numbers for emergency assistance can be found in your Travel Health Passport, available at the Download Centre. If you’re planning to travel, you must bring this document with you. Health-care providers outside of Canada may require this information before providing service.

To receive assistance for a medical emergency or travel assistance during your travels contact CanAssistance:

Toll-free (Canada & United States): 1-866-601-2583
Collect: 0-204-775-2583

You will need to provide them with your student ID number and your contract number.

Please note that students and their dependants are not covered for out-of-province or out-of-country emergency services once they reach age 65. For more details, contact" - 

From the Pacific Blue Cross FAQ section:

"Why do I need travel insurance?

You should be aware that your provincial coverage may not pay for all health care costs you may incur while outside of the province, and the difference can be substantial. For example, B.C. pays $75 (CAD) a day for emergency in-patient hospital care, while the average cost in the U.S. often exceeds $1000 (US) a day, and can be as high as $10,000 (US) a day in intensive care. For this reason, you are strongly advised to purchase additional health insurance from a private insurer before you leave the province, whether you are going to another part of Canada or outside the country. You are advised to purchase additional coverage even if you plan to be away for only a day."


Check out these documents for more information on Travel Insurance: