Furniture Purchase Guidelines
Guidelines for furniture purchases have been developed by the SFU Ergonomics Committee to prevent purchases of substandard quality.
Purchasing Ergonomic Office Chairs
The SFU Ergonomics Committee has selected a range of approved office chairs and has produced a guideline. The models in this guideline are reviewed every three years. Follow this guideline to purchase approved chairs through SFU Procurement Servicess: Approved Manufacturer's guideline
Consult EHRS prior to selecting office chairs for employees. A workstation display at EHRS is available to trial some models. EHRS is located in Discovery 1, room 1300, Discovery Park.
If none of the chairs are deemed appropriate for the individual, the employee may opt for a chair demo through one of the suppliers.
EHRS makes arrangements with a supplier when custom work is required to make a chair ergonomically correct.
To fall within the SFU ergonomics standards, an office chair must:
- Meet the CSA Z412 Office Ergonomic Guidelines;
- Have Green Guard and LEED certification;
- Be approved by the SFU Ergonomics Committee;
Have adjustments for:
- Lumbar support
- Back rest angle
- Armrests (if applicable);
- Be fitted with a knee tilt (free float) or multi tilt (rocking) mechanism;
- Have a stable (five pronged) base with casters appropriate for type of flooring (carpet castors for carpet or floor castors for hard floors);
- Appropriately support the employee’s weight;
- Allow space (2”-3”) between the front of the seat pan and the back of the legs;
- Have height and width adjustable arm rests (if ordered with armrests); and
- Fall within technical standards set by SFU Procurement Services.
Desks must be assessed for proper fit of the employee while considering the employee's work activities.
EHRS is available to do assessments or to assist you in chosing the correct furniture.
The Ergonomics Committee has identified a number of furniture suppliers able to assist you as well with choice or design requirements. Please contact Procurement Services at email@example.com or contact Paul Dhaliwal directly at Paul firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: 778-782-6840