Oil and Diesel Fuel spills
- Stop operations and shut off equipment.
- Remove any sources of spark or flame.
- Contain the source of the spill where possible.
- Determine the approximate volume of the spill.
- Identify the location of nearby storm drains, sewers and natural waterways.
- Ensure that fellow workers are notified of the spill.
- Contact the Environmental Health and Research Safety Department
- Contact Campus Security if any of the following are required:
- First Aid
- Assistance from the fire department and/or other emergency responders
- Evacuation of the surrounding area
- Traffic control
Cleanup and Containment
- Obtain spill response materials from the nearest spill response kit or by contacting Facilities Services.
- Limit the spread of the spill by placing absorbent materials around the perimeter of the spill.
- Contact an external clean-up company to clean up the spill and to dispose of contaminated materials.
- Complete an incident report form.
- Environmental Health and Research Safety will report the spill to the appropriate external agencies (e.g., EMBC, GVRD, City of Burnaby), if necessary.