Transportation of Dangerous Goods


Anyone involved with packaging, shipping, transporting, or receiving dangerous goods must be certified. Certificates for shipping by air are valid for two years, and those for road are for three years.

Receiving at SFU

Dangerous Goods packages may be received by any designated person in your department or area who holds a valid TDG certificate. Dangerous Goods destined for the Faculty of Science must pass through Science Receiving. These packages should not be accepted in departmental offices or labs.

How do you know if a package is considered dangerous goods?

An incoming package will be marked with special labels and markings.  The labels (stickers) are a diamond shape and have specific colours, pictues, & numbers. The markings (writing) on the box will include a shipping name and a United Nations number such as Gasoline, UN 1203, or Infectious substances, affecting animals only (Risk group II) UN 2900. Most dangerous goods shipments will also include shipping papers; and the waybill should show the words "Dangerous Goods".

Shipping at SFU

For questions regarding outgoing shipments, you can contact the designated TDG certified shipper for your area. Contact EHRS if you do not know who your designated shipper is. 

Note: Shipping by ground transportation (road, rail, or ship) is different than shipping by air.

For Shipping Supplies

Visit Science Stores for boxes, labels, and markings.

Dry Ice Shipments

The styrofoam box must be unsealed and placed inside a cardboard box which is sealed. The package must have a label showing the shipping address and return address. The waybill must contain this exact wording "Dry Ice, UN1845, 1x__kg, Dangerous Goods Shippers Declaration Not Required". Fill in the blank with the kilograms of dry ice at time of shipping.