Instructions to Occupants
All SFU occupants should provide assistance to people with disabilities who may need help and assist visitors in leaving the SFU occupied areas safely.
When discovering a fire
- Leave the area
- Close the door
- Pull the nearest fire alarm
- Evacuate the building via the nearest safe exit
- Do NOT use the elevators, take the STAIRS
- If possible, call Security at 778.782.7511 (ONLY if no response call 911)
- Proceed to the assembly area once outside
- Do NOT re-enter the building, unless authorized by the Surrey Fire Department or Security
If You Hear the Fire Alarm:
FIRST STAGE ALARM (SLOW/INTERMITTENT SOUND)
- Stand by to evacuate the building. Listen for instructions over the emergency voice paging system and prepare to evacuate.
- Staff on duty at the Tower Security desk will communicate messages, first to the affected zone, then a standby message to the other zones
SECOND STAGE ALARM (RAPID SOUND)
- Follow directions from floor wardens and evacuate the building via the nearest safe exit
- Do NOT use elevators, take the STAIRS
- Once outside, don't block the exit and proceed to the assembly area
- Do NOT re-enter the building, unless authorized by the Surrey Fire department or Security
Evacuation of classrooms
Faculty and teaching staff MUST cease instruction immediately upon hearing the fire alarm and direct students via the nearest safe emergency exit to the assembly area.
Evacuation of mobility impaired persons
If you are staff and mobility impaired, you will need assistance during an evacuation. Please make sure that you're listed with the Fire Safety Director so that floor wardens are aware of your location.
When on the ground floor or a floor with an emergency exit to the outside, exit via the nearest exit and proceed to the assembly area.
On all other floors, proceed to the nearest refuge area, usually at the top of the stairs inside the stairwell, and wait for rescue. Make sure that floorwardens or other occupants are aware of your location.
The assembly area is located in the parking lot at the corner of University Drive and 102nd St, west of the building.