- Emergency preparedness
- Insurance & risk
- Travel safety
What is Winterfest?
Winter is an unpredictable season on Burnaby Mountain and the SFU Burnaby community needs to be prepared when travelling to and from campus. What better way to get prepared then to attend an event focused on all-things winter safety!
Students, faculty, and staff are invited to learn from various experts on how to stay safe this upcoming season.
Join us at Winterfest 2021 in Convocation Mall on November 3rd from 11am – 2pm and visit with vendors, SFU service departments, and other key members of our Safety and Risk Services team.
Collect ballots to win prizes when you visit the information tables.
Safety is a shared responsibility at SFU, and we all have a role to play.
Review the information below to ensure you are prepared for winter weather on the Mountain.
Know before you go
Before you head out to the Burnaby, Vancouver, or Surrey campuses, get the latest information regarding campus conditions and class statuses:
Winter tips - get prepared
- Dress appropriately for the weather.
- Winterize your vehicle and review winter driving tips and resources
- Drive safely
1. Stay Alert: Be aware of our surroundings
2. Slow Down: Especially before corners. Don't tailgate
3. Stay in Control: Turn off cruise control and be sensitive to how your car moves in different road conditions
- Choose main access paths when walking on campus and use indoor travel routes as much as possible
- Build emergency kits for your home, office, and car
- Make back-up plans and emergency plans for childcare, elder care, and pet care