Certificates of Insurance

What is a Certificate of Insurance?

A Certificate of Insurance (COI) is proof that SFU has appropriate insurance coverage for a specific activity, but it is not an insurance policy, and does not apply to every activity.

When SFU personnel are collaborating with another institution, booking a facility, or conducting research, the other organization may ask for proof of insurance in case SFU damages their facility or in case SFU is responsible for someone being injured.

This proof is generally delivered in a one page document called a "Certificate of Insurance" or “COI”. You do not need a COI unless the other organization has requested one.

Certificates are NOT Transferable

Certificates are issued for specific activities and do not necessarily cover all similar activities.  Even if a COI appears to be general, do not share it with other SFU personnel.  Unauthorized use of a COI may not provide the expected coverage. 

How Much Insurance

Your written agreement with the other organization will usually specify the minimum amount of insurance required.  In most cases, you will be asked for between $1 million and $5 million of general liability insurance. 

Occasionally the other organization will request to be added as an "additional insured," which will provide the certificate holder with additional rights under the SFU policy. This status is only granted if it has been agreed to in a written contract.

Duration of a Certificate

Certificates can be issued for a specific day, many days, or for any time within a calendar year.  If your agreement extends beyond the calendar year, please advise Risk Management in mid-December, and a new certificate will be issued for the following year. 


Minors in BC are those under the age of 19. Please note that for some activities, particularly those related to student courses and experiential learning, the University may deem inclusion of minors as a risk it does not want to accept. Although you may be issued with a COI, please be prepared to limit the inclusion of minors where they are subject to injury.

Legal Signatory

If you are asked for a legal signatory contact, that will be your departmental representative; usually at the chair, dean, or director level.

Obtaining a Certificate

The University holds many different insurance policies. The most common COI you will be asked for is for liability, followed by general property, and then specific property, such as fine arts. Please note, the University insurer will only issue COI's for liability and general property in their own format and will not use any version, format, or wording designed by others.

To request a COI, please use the appropriate weblink below. You will be asked for contact details for yourself and the organization requesting the COI, as well as information about the specific activity to help Risk Management assess the risk. 

Complete the form as best you can and if you have any questions, you can contact Risk Management.  Please note that having a COI does not guarantee coverage for all activities and failure to disclose all foreseeable risks may hinder Risk Management’s ability to provide adequate insurance coverage for your activity.


Request a General Certificate of Insurance

Request a Fine Arts Certificate of Insurance (For art shows & borrowing fine art)


Relevant Links

Contact Risk Management if you have additional questions in regards to Certificates of Insurance.